March is National Sleep Awareness Month
Risk Factors for Sleep Apnea
- Being male
- Being overweight
- Being over age 40
- Having a large neck size (17 inches or greater in men and 16 inches or greater in women)
- Having large tonsils, a large tongue, or a small jaw bone
- Having a family history of sleep apnea
- Gastroesophageal reflux, or GERD
- Nasal obstruction due to a deviated septum, allergies, or sinus problems
Signs and Symptoms of Sleep Apnea include:
- Loud Snoring – The person may alternate between loud snoring and being very quiet. Periods of silence may be followed by gasps or snorting sounds.
- Observed pauses in breathing – The sleeping partner may notice that the sufferer has temporarily stopped breathing.
- Excessive sleepiness – He or she may fall asleep while watching TV, reading, attending meetings or driving. The person may wake up tired, even after a full night’s sleep.
- Morning headaches – The person may consistently wake up with morning headaches.
- Trouble concentrating or forgetfulness – This can impact relationships as well as work performance.
- Frequent nighttime awakenings – There is a tendency to wake several times each night.
- Irritability, short temper – Lack of energy, depression, or other mood changes may occur.
- Restlessness at night – The sufferer may toss and turn or thrash about in bed.
- Dry mouth – One may experience this as well.
Sleep Apnea can affect anyone at any age, if you or someone you know has these risk factors, talk to your healthcare provider today, sleep studies are performed locally at Adair County Memorial Hospital. To schedule an appointment please call 641-743-7263.
Information provided by SomniTech who provides sleep study services at Adair County Health System.
The information provided on the Adair County Health System’s Blog is not a substitute for professional medical advice and care. If you have specific needs, please see a professional health care provider. Any references to products, services, or health care providers on this web site are not a recommendation or endorsement of products, services or providers. Links to other Web sites from this site are provided for convenience and do not constitute or imply endorsement. Effort is taken to insure accurate information, however we cannot guarantee completeness or timeliness.